When searching for internships and jobs, use a combination of proactive and reactive strategies.
Reactive strategies focus on finding internship/job announcements that invite applicants to submit their materials for consideration. Select a few employment posting websites to check regularly for opportunities that fit your interests and skills.
Proactive strategies focus on initiating contact and relationship building. Why do this? Not all opportunities are posted. In addition to postings, hiring managers find new employees through a variety of ways including referrals and direct contact from applicants. Because of this, it’s important to introduce yourself to the professional community you would like to be hired into. Read more about why and how to network.
To start, research people working in your future career field and organizations that employ these types of professionals.
- Find companies: Identify organizations in your preferred city that offer the type of work you would like to pursue and review company websites to assess your match with their services, products, and values.
- Find professionals: Check staff lists on company websites; use a platform like LinkedIn to identify professionals working in your field of interest. Visit the UO’s LinkedIn page and try its alumni search tool.
Initiate contact to learn more about the work and companies. Read more about informational interviewing.
Develop a system to keep track of all search information. This includes your research on companies, professionals you identify and contact, and opportunities you apply for. Tracking saves you time and helps you know when to follow up.
Browse the list below to find links to sites that may offer internship and/or job opportunities in the following categories:
All Majors | School of Art + Design | School of Architecture & Environment
School of Planning, Public Policy and Management
Jump to the bottom of the page to learn about finding opportunities that are not posted.
Sample Internship/Job Links for All Majors:
- Handshake: On and off campus part- and full-time jobs and internships
- Indeed.com and glassdoor.com: Listings from various websites
- Idealist.org: Nonprofits and government work across the globe
- USA Jobs: Federal employment
- Additional government opportunities: State of Oregon, Lane County, and the City of Eugene
- Employment department: Job board maintained by the State Employment Department
- GoinGlobal: Resource for working outside of the U.S. To access, log into Handshake and select “Resources.”
- UO GlobalWorks International Internships
Sample Internship/Job Links Relevant to All College of Design Majors:
In addition to the examples below, research the internet for additional sites based on your area of focus.
School of Art + Design related sites:
- Regional Arts Councils
- Industrial Designers of America
- Artist Communities Alliance and ResArtis
To receive notifications of opportunities, news, and events from the Department of Art, subscribe to the School of Art + Design blog.
School of Architecture & Environment related sites:
- American Institute of Architects Career Center
- American Society of Landscape Architects Joblink
- American Society of Interior Designers Job Bank
- International Interior Design Association careerlink
- PreserveNet: preservation related
- Examples of employers who have previously recruited from SAE
Planning, Public Policy and Management related sites:
Visit the PPPM current students blog fo learn about PPPM related job and internship opportunities.