Browse the list below to find links to sites that may offer internship and/or job opportunities in the following categories:
Jump to the bottom of the page to learn about finding opportunities that are not posted.
Sample Internship/Job Links for All Majors:
- Handshake: On and off campus part- and full-time jobs and internships
- Indeed.com and glassdoor.com: Listings from various websites
- Idealist.org: Nonprofits and government work across the globe
- USA Jobs: Federal employment
- Additional government opportunities: State of Oregon, Lane County, and the City of Eugene
- Employment department: Job board maintained by the State Employment Department
- GoinGlobal: Resource for working outside of the U.S. To access, log into Handshake and select “Resources.”
- UO GlobalWorks International Internships
Sample Internship/Job Links Relevant to All College of Design Majors:
In addition to the examples below, research the internet for additional sites based on your area of focus.
School of Art + Design related sites:
- Regional Arts Councils
- Industrial Designers of America
- Artist Communities Alliance and ResArtis
To receive notifications of opportunities, news, and events from the Department of Art, subscribe to the School of Art + Design blog.
School of Architecture & Environment related sites:
- American Institute of Architects Career Center
- American Society of Landscape Architects Joblink
- International Interior Design Association careerlink
- PreserveNet: preservation related
- Examples of employers who have previously recruited from SAE
Planning, Public Policy and Management related sites:
Visit the PPPM current students blog fo learn about PPPM related job and internship opportunities.
History of Art and Architecture related sites:
- College Art Association
- American Alliance of Museums
- Museum Employment Research Center
- Regional Arts & Culture Council (Portland, OR)
- National Art Education Association
- Artist Trust (Washington State)
- Association of Art Museum Curators
- Americans for the Arts
Not all opportunities are posted!
Job search statistics indicate that a large number of jobs (and internships) are never posted. Instead, employers find new employees through a variety of ways, e.g. converting their interns to full-time employees, referrals from current employees or others they trust, or using a staffing agency. For internships, some employers might expect applicants to initiate contact and express their interest rather than posting an announcement. Or, an employer might not have an internship program but is willing to create one for the right person. Because of this, it’s important to not only look for posted opportunities but to also take steps to find those not posted. How might you do this?
Identify organizations/firms that offer work you would like to pursue:
- Search online using keywords indicating type of work and your preferred location
- Check job posting websites – while you might not fit the qualifications of a job posted, the company offering it might be of interest to you
- Use a social media platform like LinkedIn to learn more about the organization and people who work there
Once you have identified organizations of interest, contact them! You might begin with an informational interview.
Networking is key to finding and exploring unposted opportunities.